Great as a snack, part of a festive spread or even just as meal, we give you: our festive Chizou Empanadas recipe!
For the pastry (if you're feeling brave... otherwise you can buy some ready-made)
- 200g of flour
- 115g of butter or vegan alternative
- 180ml of (plant-based) milk
- 2 teaspoon of dried yeast
- Pinch of salt
For the garnish
- 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 400g black beans (from a tin)
- 150g tex mex Chizou
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon (plant-based) milk (add a bit more if you feel the garnish is too dry)
Prepare the pastry dough
- Put the flour, yeast and salt into a bowl and mix
- Melt the butter (or use room-temperature butter)
- Mix the butter with the flour and milk to create a ball of dough, place in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
Prepare the rest
- Preheat the oven at 180C
- Mix all the garnish ingredients in a bowl
- Cut the pastry in four, put some flour on a surface where you can prepare the empanadas
- Roll balls of dough flat that are about 10-12cm (or the size of your choice!)
- Add the garnish & fold into the shape of an empanada before using a fork to press on the sides.
- Brush with (plant-based) milk (if you want a more golden look) & place in the oven for about 30 min.